Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Super bonus extra: El Rondo the juggler

I found a lot of cool stuff at the Waterfront yesterday, but I have to say that the highlight of my trip was the run-in with El Rondo.

Haaaai there, El Rondo!

El Rondo is a devil stick juggler, and I first met him last year at the Grahamstown National Arts Festival where he sold me two sets of devil sticks . I consider myself quite the enthusiast – for the past few months, I've been working with them rather diligently and now have a few simple tricks that I can pull off to impress laymen. There's something almost meditative about stick-wielding, and it's awesome to watch a professional going at it. If you're not convinced, then I urge you to have a gander at this vid of El Rondo in action:



No, there aren't any magnets involved. Seriously.

We chatted for a while about various things, and I even had a chance to show him a few of the moves I'd learned since our last meeting. Seeing El Rondo again – by pure random chance, no less – was pretty damn awesome. This guy is something of a living legend in my books, and there's a chance that I'll run into him again as I travel around the country this year. I look forward to our next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment